Tuesday, October 9, 2012

October nights and pumpkins

Pumpkin Soup

It's finally starting to feel chilly in Southern California and when I mean chilly I mean it's in the 70s. For the longest it's been in the 90s and I have been wearing flip flops and dresses. Well to celebrate the dip in the temperature I decided to make Pumpkin Soup.

Soups are the easiest thing to do in my opinion. You can make a giant pot and you have soup on hand for a few days.

I got a good medium size pumpkin and cut it up and peeled it. This is the hardest part and I honestly feel that I got such a good arm workout I am skipping my arm exercises for today.




I actually cooked the pumpkin in two batches. You can save half of the uncooked pumpkin and freeze or just cook it and freeze the soup.


Pumpkin Soup

1 TBSP of oil
2 shallots chopped (you could use half an onion instead)
3-4 cloves of garlic
4-6 cups of pumpkin
2 cups of vegetable broth
seasonings of your choice (I like salt, pepper, ginger, and curry)




Heat oil, shallots, and garlic for a few minutes in the pot. Add pumpkin, cover with lid for about 5 minutes, while you heat the broth. Add hot broth. Cook for about 30-40 minutes. (Test to make sure the pumpkin is soft like a potato you were to mash) Use a hand held blender and blend in the pot. You can use a regular blender if you want a super smooth consistency. There you have it...a warm cup of Pumpkin Soup perfect for October.

If you like to add some cream or parsley to garnish that would be a nice touch. Hope you enjoy October with a warm cup of soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment