Thursday, January 12, 2012

What's for dessert!

So technically this is baking not cooking but I love to bake as well. I love baking pies, because it's super easy and I just use whatever fruits are in season. I made a Blueberry Cranberry pie this week. It has just the right combination of sweet and tart.

Blueberry/Cranberry pie

Filling
3 cups of blueberries
2 cups of cranberries
3 tablespoons of cornstarch
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/2 cups of sugar
2 tablespoons of diced chilled butter

2 pre made pie crusts (I sometimes make my own or use store bought)

1 egg beaten with a tablespoon of water (this is the egg wash you use on the pie)


Preheat oven to 425 F
                                     
                              mix berries, cornstarch, lemon juice and sugar 
                             roll out one pie crust onto a 9 inch pie pan 
                               (I used a store bought pie crust since I was pressed for time) 
                              Pour mixture on top of the pie crust





                    
                                   Cut two tablespoons of chilled butter scatter on the berries.
                                  Roll out second pie crust be sure to cut vents in the center, I used a cookie cutter

   

Place second pie crust on top and pinch the two crusts together. Brush egg wash on the pie crust. I used my thumb and index finger to create the scalloped edge. It's simple but nice!


                             
                                                    Don't forget the foil. It prevents the edges from burning
                                       Lower the oven temperature to 350 F and bake 40-50 minutes until golden.
                                   Be sure to remove the foil about 35 minutes into baking.

                         
                                       Just out of the oven!
                                      Wait until it cools before you slice.
                            I put it in the fridge for an hour or more so the filling firms up nicely!
                                  See easy as pie!


No comments:

Post a Comment