Monday, January 23, 2012

Cooking gadgets and gizmos I love

Onion Goggles 

I am one of the few people that I know that suffer from hyper sensitive to onions. Yes those stinky things that are a base to every cooking recipe. Even being near an onion being chopped by someone else would be difficult.  I have tried everything over the years. I have put it in the fridge, run the onion under cold water before chopping, and yes even gum chewing. Nothing would work my eyes would tear up, burn and sting for hours. I would usually just have someone else chop the onions far away from me or endure the pain.

Recently I saw a friend post a picture of her Onion Goggles.  Onion Goggles could they seriously work???  Well it wouldn't hurt to try. I rushed to Sur La Table and purchased a snazzy pair in red.  The minute I got home I rushed to the kitchen and got a giant onion out of the basket in the pantry, not the fridge, didn't run it under cold water, didn't even chew gum, just put on my Onion Goggles and started chopping. Chopped the whole entire onion for the hell of it. I just wanted to see if all my years of suffering would be over and all I had to do was wear goggles.

To my disbelief...THEY WORKED!!!! NO MORE TEARS!!! NO BURNING!!! It was a miracle. I love my Onion Goggles!  Thanks to my friend I can now chop onions. Soon I hope to have a post up for French Onion Soup. Something I always wanted to make, but couldn't imagine doing because of all the onions. Well now I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment