Monday, August 6, 2012

Jacket Makeover to Dye for!

I absolutely love this jacket. I bought it years and years ago at Anthropologie on sale. Love their sales! It was this light blueish gray to begin with but over the years sadly it has faded to a whitish grey. It just looks blah. So thanks to Pinterest I got this great idea to revamp my favorite jacket my dyeing it.  I went  to  the craft store and picked up a package of RIT powder dye in the color teal, it was about $3. Not bad $3 and I will have a brand new jacket.

This is how it originally looked it's so pretty but the color is so dull.




Instructions 

I used the bucket method. Use the method you feel more comfortable with.
I basically filled a 3 gallon bucket with hot water poured the powder dye added 1 TBSP of liquid detergent and stirred.
Wet your garment until it is throughly soaking wet. Put in bucket. Let it sit for as long as you desire, the longer the better as it will soak more color. I let my jacket sit for 30 minutes constantly stirring it around making sure is absorbed the color evenly. (It will appear really dark but once you wash it and dry it will be a lighter color)After 30 minutes rise in the sink with warm and gradually change to cold. Do this until the water is running clear free of any dye. Then wash it in the washing machine. I used a warm/cold cycle delicate setting. Then gave it a rinse in cold water. Then put it in the dryer. (The instruction for each method are on the package)

My new Jacket. Love how the color turned out. 


Best part it now matches my favorite shoes.


Hope this post gives you some ideas how to revamp your favorite clothes. I am so happy I dyed my jacket, it looks better than I originally bought it :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment